Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chapter 12; Part 3 - Visitors

When I first started visiting Mom and Dad several years ago, I was single. This is how Mom used to introduce me.

“Neighbor, this is my single daughter. She’s visiting from Washington, DC for a week,” Mom would say.

“Nice to meet you, single daughter,” Neighbor would reply. I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“Mom,” I would say later, “it’s insulting the way you introduce me as your single daughter.”

“Well, everyone knows that in addition to my son, I have two daughters – one single and one married to a wonderful man with three adorable children. So that’s how I always refer to you. They wouldn’t know which daughter I was talking about if I just said your name,” Mom answered.

“Well, I don’t like it. Please try to introduce me with a name next time.”

The next time we met one of her friends, this is how the conversation went:

Mom: Friend, I want to introduce you to my daughter, Amy.

Friend: Nice meeting you, Amy. Are you the single daughter or the married one with the wonderful husband and three beautiful children?

No comments:

Post a Comment